The mission of the Blue Ridge Bicycle Club is to promote healthy and fun lifestyles through cycling in Western North Carolina.
We accomplish this by:
- Providing education
- Providing cycling opportunities
- Working with health and fitness organizations
- Working with existing organizations on their cycling programs
- Working with governments on transportation planning
- Developing new cycling programs
The Blue Ridge Bicycle Club
is more than just a bicycle club…
- The BRBC is a 501(c)3 non-profit organization providing funding for a variety of bicycle-related projects in Western North Carolina(WNC), such as providing:
- Mini grants to support the bicycle-related projects of other groups.
- Matching funds for groups developing bike and greenway plans.
- Money to support purchase of land for greenways.
- An organized ride, the WNC Flyer, that over its 14 year history has contributed over $250,000 to bicycle advocacy.
- Funding for local leaders to visit Minneapolis to learn of their cycling infrastructure.
- Like all nonprofits, we are required to file an annual tax return with the Internal Revenue Service.
- The BRBC promotes bicycle education by:
- Coordinating the bicycle rodeo programs.
- Helping coordinate and implement bicycle education programs in local middle schools.
- Providing a series of rides for beginning riders.
- Having their members, who are certified by the League of American Bicyclists, help teach a monthly series of classes on cycling skills.
- Holding informational meetings on bicycle-related issues
- The BRBC promotes healthy living by:
- Participating in local health fairs and events.
- Having their members participate in local boards and groups such as greenway commissions and health advocacy groups.
- Having over 160 volunteers supporting advocacy and bike safety in WNC.
- Offering over 170 rides per year that are open to both members and non-members.
- Having over 225 cue sheets for local area rides available to both members and non-members.