History and Mission
The mission of the Blue Ridge Bicycle Club is to promote healthy and fun lifestyles through cycling in Western North Carolina.
We accomplish this by:
- Providing education
- Providing cycling opportunities
- Working with health and fitness organizations
- Working with existing organizations on their cycling programs
- Working with governments on transportation planning
- Developing new cycling programs
The Blue Ridge Bicycle Club
is more than just a bicycle club…
- The BRBC is a 501(c)3 non-profit organization providing funding for a variety of bicycle-related projects in Western North Carolina(WNC), such as providing:
- Mini grants to support the bicycle-related projects of other groups.
- Matching funds for groups developing bike and greenway plans.
- Money to support purchase of land for greenways.
- An organized ride, the Fletcher Flyer, that over its 10 year history has contributed over $120,000 to bicycle advocacy.
- Funding for local leaders to visit Minneapolis to learn of their cycling infrastructure.
- Like all nonprofits, we are required to file an annual tax return with the Internal Revenue Service. Our treasurer, Charlie Clogston, also serves as our accountant, and does an impressive job!
- The BRBC promotes bicycle education by:
- Coordinating the bicycle rodeo program for Healthy Buncombe in Buncombe County.
- Helping coordinate and implement bicycle education programs in local middle schools.
- Providing a series of rides for beginning riders.
- Having their members, who are certified by the League of American Bicyclists, help teach a monthly series of classes on cycling skills.
- Holding informational meetings on bicycle-related issues
- The BRBC promotes healthy living by:
- Participating in local health fairs and events.
- Having their members participate in local boards and groups such as greenway commissions and health advocacy groups.
- Having over 160 volunteers supporting advocacy and bike safety in WNC.
- Offering over 170 rides per year that are open to both members and non-members.
- Having over 225 cue sheets for local area rides available to both members and non-members.